We spoke with Dan Howie, Acquisition Surveyor at Pump Gyms
Name: Dan Howie MRICS
Director of Howie Property Ltd and Acquisition Surveyor for Pump Gyms.
Who are Pump Gyms?
Pump Gyms are a premium budget gym operator.
What makes us different from the competition?
- 24/7 access
- Saunas in the changing rooms
- More classes. 240 a months
- Fingerprint biometrics for access
- Extremely high quality equipment
- Excellent fit out with £1.2m typically spent on each site.
How many locations do Pump Gyms currently have?
7 to date with number 8 to follow shortly. Current locations are Bedford, Colchester, Hatfield, Northampton, Stourbridge, Watford and Norwich.
- Towns and cities within a 2 hour drive of north London
- Large catchments with 100,000 people within a 15 minute drive time.
How many new sites are you targeting?
- Approximately 5 a year.
15,000 - 25,000 sq ft (ideally on one floor but will consider trading from part mezzanine).
- Must have 80 + free parking spaces.
- Busy arterial routes.
- Offices, industrial units and retail parks will be considered.
- Town centre locations will NOT be considered as easy access is essential.
Freehold or Leasehold?
Recent openings or new locations in the pipeline?
We have recently opened on Hall Road Retail Park in Norwich. We have another site close to completion but location cannot be revealed quite yet!
What are the main challenges you face when acquiring new property?
- Lack of stock with vacancy rates so low.
- Astronomical rates!
- The rental level we can pay. Typically we pay no more than £10psf being a gym operator.
Fortnum & Mason.
St James’ Park in Newcastle! Howay the lads.
Favourite retail or leisure destination?
Middleton Lodge in Middleton Tyas, Richmond, North Yorks.
Email – email@example.com
Tel - 07793 970 598
Website - www.howieproperty.co.uk